Saturday, September 13, 2014

End of Days (1999)

Director: Peter Hyams

Writer: Andrew W. Marlowe

Composer: John Debney

Starring: Arnold Schwarzenegger, Gabriel Byrne, Robin Tunney, Kevin Pollak, CCH Pounder, Derrick O'Connor, David Weisenberg, Rainer Judd, Miriam Margolyes, Udo Kier, Rod Steiger, Marc Lawrence, Sven-Ole Thorsen

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Prepare for the end.

Plot: At the end of the century, Satan visits New York in search of a bride. It's up to an ex-cop who now runs an elite security outfit to stop him.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

While it's strange seeing Schwarzenegger in a film like this, it's also refreshing. He's the star but it's not your typical Schwarzenegger picture.  His acting is par for the course with the occasional dip into bad territory.  Gabriel Byrne, though, is the shit in this.  He's great. Kevin Pollak is fun, too, and Robin Tunney does a great job as the object of Satan's attraction.  The story is pretty good but there's something about this picture that didn't work for me and I can't put my finger on it.  It could be this was a 100 minute film in a 121 minute body. I don't know.  It'd take another viewing to figure it out but I don't find it compelling enough to warrant another go at it.  I dug it but not THAT much.  I REALLY dug the ending and with Jericho's (Schwarzenegger) decision.  Nice.  Very nice. 

1 comment:

  1. I'm surprised you don't like this film. It's one of my favourites. I love films with Satanic cults in the background. I agree that Gabriel Byrne is the film's big star. He's the coolest Devil I've ever seen. I also think that this is the only film in which Arnie's acting is good. (I like "Terminator", but you can hardly call that "acting").

    ReplyDelete