Monday, November 3, 2014

Drive Angry (2011)

Director: Patrick Lussier

Writers: Todd Farmer, Patrick Lussier

Composer: Michael Wandmacher

Starring: Nicolas Cage, Amber Heard, William Fichtner, Billy Burke, David Morse, Todd Farmer, Christa Campbell, Charlotte Ross, Tom Atkins, Jack McGee, Katy Mixon

More info: IMDb

Tagline: One hell of a ride.

Plot: A vengeful father escapes from hell and chases after the men who killed his daughter and kidnapped his granddaughter.



My rating: 7/10

Will I watch it again? Yes.

The less you know about this movie the better.  All I knew was the plotline above.  I didn't even watch the trailer.  This movie is bugnuts fun.  It's also got too much down time and a few minutes that can be trimmed overall but boy, oh boy when it's showtime it really cuts loose.  It's retarded as shit and it knows it.  That's the best part.  The film makers embrace the insanity.  Cage's acting is all over the place.  At the end of the opening chase his line readings are atrocious.  I can't remember if that's where we laughed out loud first.  Regardless, as the story unfolds and you learn more it makes more sense.  In hindsight I enjoyed it that way (knowing nothing).  Fichtner (as The Accountant) is fucking hilarious and he's the best character in the picture.  Cage has moments of fun but it's more from bad acting.  He's an odd bird, that one.  Everybody else does a fine job, though.  And you can't go wrong with having Tom Atkins in your cast.  The special effects are often, purposely, corny and old school and I absolutely loved it.  There's plenty of violence and nudity which is always welcome.  I'm looking forward to checking this out again and digging into the extras.  This flick is super, off the charts fun and would be a great flick to show with a rowdy group of friends.  I only have the 2D DVD but I'll have to start looking for a nicely priced 3D Blu-ray.

No comments:

Post a Comment