Sunday, November 2, 2014

The Prodigal Boxer (1972)

Original title: Fan Shi Yu

Director: Yang Ming Tsai

Writer: Kuang Ni

Composer: Cheng Chang

Starring: Fei Meng, Lin Lin Li, Yasuaki Kurata, Hung Pai, Ching Wong

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Overpowering in savage action!

Plot: A gifted but proud young martial arts student injures and kills an opponent. In retaliation , his father is killed. The young student vows revenge and begins to prepare for his epic face-off.



My rating: 5.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

Normally I don't watch classic chop socky movie in fullscreen format but this is the only way I could see it.  It's part of a Grindhouse Experience 20 movie set from Fortune 5 and I'm determined to watch everything in it for some stupid damn reason.  It's OK.  There's nothing special about it.  The English dub is at times ridiculously ameteurish as the often were and the fight scenes aren't memorable.  The story is pedestrian and one used time and time again.  The only fun thing about it was the hero's mother looks to be the same age as him.  Hilarious.  I've got a shelf filled with widescreen classic so it pains me to watch a sub-par presentation like this when I've got guaranteed gold just a few feet away.  Oh, well.  That's the life of an obsessed movie fan, right?

No comments:

Post a Comment