Friday, February 6, 2015

Bangkok Dangerous (2008)

Directors: Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang

Writers: Jason Richman, Oxide Pang Chun, Danny Pang

Composer: Brian Tyler

Starring:  Nicolas Cage, Shahkrit Yamnarm, Charlie Yeung, Panward Hemmanee, Nirattisai Kaljaruek, Dom Hetrakul, Tuck Napaskorn, Steve Baldocchi, Crhis Heebink, James With

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The hitman has become the target

Plot: A hitman who's in Bangkok to pull off a series of jobs violates his personal code when he falls for a local woman and bonds with his errand boy.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

I was surprisingly entertained.  I'd heard a lot of crap about this flick and, being a Nicolas Cage movie, I kind of expected much, much worse.  It turns out to be pretty good.  It looks great, the action scenes are fun, Brian Tyler's score adds to it and Cage feels like the right choice.  If you don't like him then stay away from this one.  Even though his character falls for a dame, just like the often used trope goes, it doesn't seem to hurt the picture all that much.  In fact, it makes more sense that Joe (Cage) might do something like that considering where he is in his life.  The pacing is pretty good and I found myself not regretting giving up 95 minutes of my life for this.  Only now do I see that the writer/directors who made this also created the original film in 2000.  If I should come across it I'll definitely watch it.  It's probably better, Nicolas Cage or no Nicolas Cage.  The Lionsgate DVD extras include 2 making of featurettes which total around 30 minutes, an alternate ending, the theatrical trailer (anamorphic widescreen) and a handful of anamorphic widescreen trailers for more Lionsgate pictures.

No comments:

Post a Comment