Wednesday, February 11, 2015

This Filthy World (2006)

Director: Jeff Garlin

Writer: John Waters

Composers: Jared Gutstadt, Lukas Kaiser

Starring: John Waters

More info: IMDb

Plot:  Philosopher of filth and reigning king of bad taste, John Waters presents an outstanding live one-man show that celebrates his origins of trash.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

I'm a HUGE fan of Waters.  I enjoy his pictures and I love hearing his stories about making movies and anything else he wants to talk about.  That said, I was disappointed with this, his one man show that he took on the road and performed to sold out audiences.  He's had a wild career and he's a really interesting cat.  In the show, he speeds through his career so fast that he had to have burned more calories than a brisk one hour walk. He's like lightning and it sounds like he's on a schedule and has to split, the way he goes from one story to the next.  It's either his segues are very awkward or there are none and he just rambles right to the next.  It was really odd. I still dig the guy's stories and I'm keen to listen to him any time.  I should check his DVDs on my shelf and see if they have any commentaries. I'm sure they do and I'm willing to be that he's a lot more relaxed and probably more focused instead of sounding like he's rushing through dialogue to get to the end of the night.  I'm going to a con very soon where he'll be in attendance.  He's going to perform this concert and I'm less inclined to go but then a lot may have changed in the past 9 years and maybe he's gotten a lot more comfortable with his role on the stage.  We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment