Tuesday, April 21, 2015

The X Files: I Want to Believe (2008)

Director: Chris Carter

Writers: Frank Spotnitz, Chris Carter

Composer: Mark Snow

Starring: David Duchovny, Gilliam Anderson, Amanda Peet, Billy Connolly, Xzibit, Mitch Pileggi, Callum Keith Rennie, Adam Godley, Stephen E. Miller

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Believe Again

Plot: Mulder and Scully are called back to duty by the FBI when a former priest claims to be receiving psychic visions pertaining to a kidnapped agent.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again? Nope.

While I've probably only seen the first couple of seasons of the show (and only just recently, shamefully) and the first film, I was kind of bummed out that I missed this one in the theaters.  It's the kind of storytelling that lends itself to big screen entertainment despite having started on the small screen of TV.  Now that I've seen it I'm kind of wondering what all the hate and fuss was about.  I am a bit disappointed but I guess it depends on what your expectations are.  On one hand Carter & co should've made more of an attempt to bring a bigger and more thrilling story considering it had been ten years since the previous, and first, film from the series to make it to the theaters.  But then again, this isn't really all that different than an episode from the series.  It felt just like an episode but in widescreen.  It looks and feels great but it's not all that compelling and the climax isn't all that climactic but it serves the picture.  I want to believe (ahahahahahaha) that if this were presented as another episode, fans would be satisfied but when you wait ten years to give them another big screen adventure, you'd better make that story one that feels at home on that screen.  The 20th Century Fox Blu-ray looks great and it's loaded with lots of extras I took a pass on.  The disc also gives you the option of watching the theatrical or extended version of the film.  I watched the latter.

No comments:

Post a Comment