Friday, July 31, 2015

Miami Vice (2006)

Director: Michael Mann

Writer: Michael Mann

Composer: John Murphy

Starring: Colin Farrell, Jamie Foxx, Li Gong, Naomie Harris, Ciaran Hinds, Justin Theroux, Barry Shabaka Henley, Luis tosar, John Ortiz, John Hawkes

More info: IMDb

Tagline: No Rules

Plot: Based on the 1980s TV action/drama, this update focuses on vice detectives Crockett and Tubbs as their respective personal and professional lives become dangerously intertwined.



My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again? No.

OK, I never saw the show.  I was at the right age when it came out to love it (mid-teens) but I wasn't much of a TV watcher (never have been, really).  Movies have always been my bag.  Anyway, I was aware of the show and what it looked like and what it was about and that's the extent to what I had going into Mann's feature film based on the show he created.  I was borderline bored from (nearly) start to finish.  Everything was so damn stylishly serious from the music to the acting and the overall dark look of the film (most of it takes place at night, the opposite of what you think about the bright, sunny city of Miami).  It's over two hours of gloomy machismo that kept me from caring about anyone.  Farrell and Foxx seem reasonably cast but they have zero chemistry.  Hanging around either of these characters would be a real bummer.  Was the TV show like this?  I wouldn't mind trying the show out (it's currently streaming on Netflix) but this movie has all but turned me completely off. 

No comments:

Post a Comment