Thursday, October 13, 2016

Missing in Action (1984)

Director: Joseph Zito

Writers: James Bruner, John Crowther, Lance Hool

Composer: Jay Chattaway

Starring: Chuck Norris, M. Emmet Walsh, David Tress, Lenore Kasdorf, James Hong, Ernie Ortega, Pierrino Mascarino, Erich Anderson, Joseph Carberry

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The war's not over until the last man comes home.

Plot: Colonel James Braddock is an American officer who spent seven years in a North Vietnamese POW camp, then escaped 10 years ago. After the bloodiest war, Braddock accompanies a government investigation team that goes to Ho Chi Minh City to check out reports of Americans still held prisoner. Braddock gets the evidence then travels to Thailand, where he meets Tuck, an old Army buddy turned black market kingpin. Together, they launch a mission deep into the jungle to free the American POWs from General Trau.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.

I can't believe I'm only just now seeing this.  It's probably the second or third Chuck Norris Picture I've seen.  Norris is best when his dialogue is kept to a minimum and that's the case here.  There's enough action to satisfy fans but the big showpiece is at the end during the big rescue.  The pacing isn't too bad but some will find it a turn off that some scenes drag a lot, like when Chuck is breaking in and out of the hotel.  There's an extraordinary amount of time spent watching him sneak around, scale walls, etc.  Normally I'd poo poo that but for some reason I kind of liked the time spent with mundane acts like that.  Even though it's Rambo-lite (those are packed with action and Stallone has a lot more charisma), I can see revisiting this in a dozen years or so...after I've seen another 2 or 3 Chuck pictures.  The MGM Blu-ray looks great.  I've got the one that has the sequel and THE DELTA FORCE (the latter I watched last year and I don't remember a single thing about it...that's not good).

No comments:

Post a Comment