Monday, November 13, 2017

Look Around You (2002) TV series


Creators: Robert Popper, Peter Serafinowicz

Director: Tim Kirkby

Composers: Robert Popper, Peter Serafinowicz

Starring: Nigel Lambert (first series narrator), Peter Serafinowicz, Jack Morgan, James Serafinowicz, Edgar Wright

Plot: A parody of educational programs.



My rating: 8/10

Will I watch it again?  Yes.

OK, I've only seen series one which has the ten minute episodes and there are nine of them.  I'm not familiar with the classroom educational series that they're goofing on (a 1970s program called FOR SCHOOLS AND COLLEGES) but it doesn't matter.  Funny is funny and this is funny.  I love the short format as it gets right to it with the gags and doesn't let up.  A half hour of the same would be very difficult to maintain the, what we call it in the 'biz', LPM (laughs per minute) quotient this show has.  The aesthetic screams late 70s/early 80s right down to even the music.  In total it's about an hour and a half of hilarious.  Oh, and Nigel Lambert's narration is just perfect.  I haven't seen the second series which went for that half hour time per episode but it also goofed on a different education program, TOMORROW'S WORLD (1965).  I did find one episode on YouTube (episode 3 entitled "Sports").  I found it amusing but it wasn't nearly as good as what they brought for series one.  If I should come across the rest of series 2 then I will definitely give them a watch.  The filmmakers deserve that.

No comments:

Post a Comment