Monday, November 6, 2017

Treasure of the Golden Condor (1953)

Director: Delmer Daves

Writers: Delmer Daves, Edison Marshall

Composer: Sol Kaplan

Starring: Cornel Wilde, Constance Smith, Finlay Currie, Walter Hampden, Anne Bancroft, George Macready, Fay Wray, Leo G. Carroll, Konstantin Shayne, Ernest Borgnine, Robert Blake

More info: IMDb

Tagline: LOST WORLD OF THE MAYANS!

Plot: Jean-Paul rebels against his bondage to his uncle, the Marquis de St. Malo, and journeys to the far-off Mayan hills of Guatemala seeking a hidden treasure. He is the rightful heir to his uncle's title and lands, and goes to Guatemala to win his fortune and come back and claim his heritage.



My rating: 7.5/10

Will I watch it again?  Maybe.

This was fun.  It took a while to get to the treasure hunting but it's a good story, it's well told, the actors do a great job and the pacing is just right.  The ending is very satisfying, too.  There were some parts of the jungle stuff that looked like it they inspired some Indiana Jones scenes.  The mid section is where the Guatemalan Jungle business.  That's where I had the most fun.  It looks authentic, too.  I liked the characters quite a bit and there are a few surprises.  There's really only one thing that bothered me and that was the sudden surprise at Jean-Paul's trial which dramatically alters everything.  It was a fake out that I'd normally call bullshit on but it surprised me in a good way.  Now that I'm talking about it I think that character changed his mind and went whole hog and forged a lot of documents.  Thinking that's what it was makes me feel much better and it makes for some great story telling.  This is a fun costume adventure flick that's perfect for that lazy Saturday afternoon escapism itch.







No comments:

Post a Comment