Sunday, February 18, 2018

Eraserhead (1977)

Director: David Lynch

Writer: David Lynch

Composer: David Lynch

Starring: Jack Nance, Charlotte Stewart, Allen Joseph, Jeanne Bates, Judith Roberts, Laurel Near, V. Phipps-Wilson, Jack Fisk

More info: IMDb

Tagline: Be warned. The nightmare has not gone away...

Plot: Henry Spencer tries to survive his industrial environment, his angry girlfriend, and the unbearable screams of his newly born mutant child.



My rating: 6.5/10

Will I watch it again?  No.

David Lynch is one of those polarizing filmmakers that most people either like or not.  I'm kind of on the fence.  After knowing about this film for more than thirty years, I FINALLY watched it.  I pulled down the big screen for this one (11' x 7') and had the sound up nice.  The sound is great.  The background sound (it's not noise and it's not music in the traditional sense) is constant and it keeps you in the film.  Visually it's interesting.  I didn't want to look away from it.  But following this as a narrative film is futile.  I'm not sure if Lynch was trying to say anything but he created (over a five year period) an unusual film experience.  I doubt I'll ever watch it again but I'm glad I finally saw it.  It's different, I'll say that much.

No comments:

Post a Comment