Saturday, February 3, 2018

The Final Programme (1973)

AKA: The Last Days of Man on Earth

Director: Robert Fuest

Writers: Michael Moorcock, Robert Fuest

Composers: Paul Beaver, Bernard Krause

Starring: Jon Finch, Jenny Runacre, Sterling Hayden, Harry Andews, Hugh Griffith, Julie Ege, Patrick Magee, Graham Crowden, George Coulouris, Ronald Lacey, Sarah Douglas

More info: IMDb

Tagline: The Future is Cancelled!

Plot: A trio of scientists plan to create a self-replicating, immortal, hermaphrodite using the Final Programme developed by a Nobel Prize-winning dead scientist.


My rating: 5/10

Will I watch it again?  Nope.

I was rather looking forward to seeing this being how it's a early 70s British sci-fi with several quality and known actors.  Little did I know how dull this was going to be.  There's no suspense what so ever.  The entire picture is building to the finale and then they figuratively piss in your face with a cheap joke just before the credits role.  Maybe the novel handled it better.  I'll never know because A) I don't read much because it cuts into my movie watching time and B) this flick killed any chance of my wanting to find out for myself.  It's a dull movie with the occasional moments of when it's trying to be a serious thinking man's science fiction flick and other times when it wants to be a fun sci-fi romp for the swingin' young set.  People like Hayden, Andrews, Magee had my attention but they're all barely in it.  They come on for their five to ten minutes and that's the last you see of them.  What a letdown. 




No comments:

Post a Comment